This flavourful and fragrant chicken is rubbed with Thai red curry paste, lemongrass and ginger for a delicious take on roast chicken.
Whole Tied Chicken
- 1 Zabiha Halal Whole Tied Chicken
- 1 pound potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 pound parsnips, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 4 shallots, halved
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon minced lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In slow cooker, combine potatoes, parsnips, carrots, celery and shallots. Pour in chicken broth. Stir together curry paste, lemongrass, fish sauce, ginger, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Rub mixture all over chicken and inside cavity. Tie legs together with butcher’s string. Place on top of vegetables, breast side up. Cover and cook on High for about 4 hours or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Remove string from chicken; slice chicken. Arrange chicken and vegetables on serving platter; spoon some of the sauce over vegetables. Serve remaining sauce on the side. Sprinkle with green onions and cilantro; serve with lime wedges.
Tip: Add frozen peas in the last 15 minutes of cooking if desired.