With an easy cornmeal batter, this summer classic is baked instead of deep-fried for a healthy homemade version that the whole family will love.
- 4 Zabiha Halal Spicy Supreme Chicken Frankfurters
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- Ketchup, for serving
- Mustard, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425˚F (220˚C). In bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in butter with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In separate bowl, whisk egg with milk; stir into flour mixture, mixing just until combined.
- Insert wooden stick into each Spicy Supreme™ Chicken Frankfurter lengthwise, leaving 2-inch (5 cm) handle. Wrap dough around each frankfurter to cover and enclose. Arrange on parchment paper–lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with ketchup and mustard.
Tip: Instead of Spicy Supreme Chicken Frankfurters, substitute Zabiha Halal Supreme Chicken Frankfurters or Smokies Chicken Sausages if desired.
Tip: Corn dogs can also be served with salsa, guacamole or tzatziki sauce.
Tip: For an extra-smooth corn dog, wrap in plastic wrap and twist ends to tighten.