In the midst of the rapidly evolving global COVID-19 pandemic, it is critical that we all do our part to reduce and slow the spread of the virus. In light of the recently imposed State of Emergency declared by the Province of Ontario, we want to inform you that we will continue to comply to our strict Halal standards in order to provide Canadians with safe, wholesome halal chicken, while protecting the health and well-being of our employees, families, communities, suppliers and customers through this challenging time.
QUALITY CONTROL & SAFETY MANAGEMENT
In our food processing plants, stringent sanitation procedures and comprehensive food quality control & safety management systems are rigorously practiced every day. These systems not only assure that our products are safe and wholesome but they also provide protection against the virus and its spread. Additionally, we have put greater emphasis on the sanitation of our office spaces, increasing the frequency with which common spaces and frequently used surfaces are cleaned and disinfected.
OUR CURRENT ACTION PLAN
We have established an action plan to identify and address the potential impact of the outbreak on employee and community health, workforce availability and our supply chains as the outbreak evolves. Some of the measures we have applied to date include the following:
- We have implemented Public Health Agency of Canada recommendations, including requiring anyone experiencing symptoms to stay at home or leave work immediately if symptoms arise in the workplace
- We have a strict screening policy in place, allowing in only essential visitors who have successfully passed the screening
- We have implemented self-isolation and quarantine policies, which ensure those employees that are unable to work due to illness or dependent care are appropriately supported
- We have established a childcare subsidy for eligible employees so they are able to come to work
- We have offered support to our employees and their family members who may be feeling anxious about the situation through our Employee Assistance program
- We have implemented a weekly rewards program for employees in recognition of the hard work they are doing to keep Canadians fed
- We continue with communication campaigns aimed at reminding employees of the importance of good hygiene/handwashing practices
- We have implemented a work from home policy for our office staff
- We continue to implement physical distancing, wherever possible, in our plants, cafeteria and hallways
- We are continuously assessing our live supply chain and are developing contingency plans, in conjunction with industry partners, in order to maintain our high animal welfare standards and a steady supply of chicken
We continue to monitor local Governmental and World Health Organization advice, and to evaluate and adjust our policies and procedures to address the constantly evolving situation so that we can help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and continue to provide Canadians with access to safe and wholesome chicken in adequate quantities.
For further information on COVID-19 please visit the Ontario Ministry of Health at: https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus#section-12, or
Public Health Agency of Canada at: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html